Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Getting to know the basics - Spice Blends

This month has been HOT...really, really hot!

One particular steamy evening, this was the grill temp before I even turned it on...see, hot!?!?!

After reading a few of my favorite blogs, I've come to the realization there are still many cooking basics I've not tried. On this account, I decided to explore the flavors of two rather common spice mixes...
*
Curry Powder...
*
and Old Bay.
*
I picked up a package of chicken thighs and kept it simple with canola oil and...
*
a little Old Bay here...
*
and some Curry Powder there.
*
Onto the grill they went.
Being so super hot out, there was no way in heck I was even touching the stove inside!
*

The chicken variations were so flavorful!

Both the Old Bay and Curry Powder are perfect quick dinner tools - At the end of a long day, when you're in a pinch to get something packed with flavor on the table, just grab either of these, sprinkle and cook away.

Honestly I can't believe I've not tried either mix at home before (and feel rather silly to be admitting that)...I suppose this is the case simply because they are not something I grew up with.

Next up is Old Bay on seafood and some curry chicken salad...things are looking good :o)

My apologies for ignoring the blog in the last week...I've been tied up with travels, golf and one crazy fun wedding! I am back now and harvesting like a mad woman from the garden, so stay tuned!!

2 comments:

  1. Yay Old Bay! It might sound weird but mix equal parts old bay, chile powder, and paprika for a great pork rub base. Old Bay is excellent on shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I trust you about the Old Bay...your blog is the reason I felt I needed to introduce my kitchen to it!

    ReplyDelete