Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Flounder Taco Cups

Two nights ago I hit major blog shame with Beer @ Softball + Smartfood After = Monday Dinner
*
I know, I know...
HORRIBLE!!
*
Last night I felt the need to redeem myself and redeem myself I did :)

*The small row of arugula I planted in the garden has been growing like crazy! Each day during my lunch hour, I drive home to make myself a delicious 'fresh from the garden' salad...can't beat that!
*
Trying to cook with the season's offerings, a good bunch of arugula was harvested for this evening's very important therapy session.
*
Now for the fun part...the Taco Cups!
*The recipe I based this dinner creation on called for the small wontons and a regular 12-cup pan. As you've seen in my monster muffins and cupcake, I like to go BIG!
*

I used egg roll wrappers and my super nice giant 6-cup tin :)
*
The wrappers were brushed with canola oil, carefully fitted to each cup and baked for 6 minutes at 375 degrees. Pretty neat huh?!?!
*

What seemed an unlikely combination was the taco filling...
* Chopped arugula, mango, avocado and scallions dressed with an olive oil/lime juice dressing.
*
Peppery + Sweet + Buttery + Mild Onion + Citrus/Fruitiness = One Crazy Fusion of Flavors!!!
*
The recipe I was working from called for Tilapia, but I substituted with flounder. To accompany this flavor packed filling the fish was seasoned with salt/pepper and pan fried.
*
Finally for the topping - Crème Fraiche + Wasabi Powder!
*
The finished dish!
*

It looked so great from all sides...
*
I couldn't resist and ate two haha!
*
For me this meal was WOW!
*
I really enjoyed the unlikely flavor combinations, which made it an exciting dish to eat...next time I would prefer to grill the fish rather than pan fry (I think that grill flavor would happily accompany this outrageous flavor combo!), not to mention creating the taco cups was so simple, I'm already being to think of other things to fill them with!!

*
This was a redeemer meal for sure (recipe posted)!

No comments:

Post a Comment