Friday, February 5, 2010

Flounder-ing Fish Fry

I am floundering...
*
*
No, I am not about to make some complaint about work (remember I promised a few days ago I'd make the effort to stop). When I say I am floundering, I mean when it comes to fish!
*
I've documented at least one mediocre attempt at fish, which turned out to be a grilled pile of white flesh. Don't get me wrong, the taste was good, but its appearance was still not respectable enough to serve anyone other than Hubs (he'll try almost anything, regardless of how it looks).
*
My main problem with fish is - I'm too tough! I over season, over handle and over cook. So once again I made the attempt. I decided I wanted fish and by golly I was going to have fish...made at home!
*
Flounder was on sale this particular day. At some point over the years, Hubs had mentioned he really liked the pan fried flounder his Mother would occasionally make. I too have had pan fried flounder, but bet my childhood experience with the meal was very different from his.

Occasionally the Korean Store would have fresh (not frozen) fish available and once in a great while it would be flounder. The whole fish if you know what I mean?!?!

[Note: where we are in New England, everything is frozen at some point...this was just fish shipped frozen but was 'fresh']

My mother would work her magic seasoning the fish and pan frying until the skin was perfectly crisp. The pan would be set in the middle of the table, alongside our Kimchi lineup, and we'd pick the flesh from the delicate bones into our small rice bowls - indulging in what was a very special meal for us to share.

*
On this eventful night of fish attempt #2....I'm going for it! I'm going to pan fry us some flounder!



Here the are...the seemingly simple looking flounder fillets.
*

Seriously though, this should be easy right?

Well if so, why the heck do I get so intimidated by these creatures of the sea? Shrimp don't scare me, scallops are harmless, even mussels, clams, and lobster don't get to me...just fish.
*
Alright, I knew I was going to pan fry these fillets somehow.
*
The bread/fry combo almost always produces something the Hubs enjoys, so it couldn't hurt.
*
So yes, shame on me, I've defaulted to what I know how to do - bread & fry!
*
The real shame is beng this simple act of breading has made me feel as though I've now removed any healthy aspect or intention from this meal.
*
I dried the fish with paper towel and coated with panko breadcrumbs, which I seasoned with parsley flakes, salt, pepper, and a touch of garlic powder.
*
Into the pan they go with just a bit of oil.
*
Sides tonight will be simple - boxed Rice Pilaf and Lil' Ms. Homemaker's Salad.
*
I've never done this before, but decided to use some chicken broth.
*
In the back of my head I was worried the fish wouldn't be edible, so I figured an extra tasty/flavorful side would be a great back up to have.
*
I really do feel bad for breading and frying again so soon on our dinner menu.
*
The overwhelming act of consciously transforming something that could be very healthy into a bread/fry cop out has gotten to me...BUT, we're having salad too!.
*
Won't that offset the guilt I feel for frying?!?!
*
Now here it is, my Flounder'ing Fish Fry, with a super flavorful Rice Pilaf.
*
Mission accomplished.
Not only did the fish stay true to Hubs' feelings about anything breaded/fried, but it was edible and actually quite good!
*
Now feeling as though I've gotten my head just above water with this first fishy breakthrough, I'm no longer floundering (all the pun intended haha!).
*
My fish was not anything like my Mother's version and the same probably goes for Hubs' Mom's fish as well. However, now I do believe some investigating is in order to learn their versions for next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment