Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Mexican-American

Mexican flavors...or rather my American spin on them are household favorites here.
*
All beginning about 4 years ago when I played with a homemade chimichanga recipe, we've let go of buying pre-made taco (or other seasoning packets) and do it up ourselves. That reminds me...while not an experiment or anything new, I do have to share with you all our homemade chimi's...a Hubs favorite!!
*
So I decided to try yet again...try what?!?!
Fish.
*
This was my marinade.
Lime juice, olive oil, tequila, fresh jalapeno, garlic and cilantro.
*
This was my version of a mexican ranch dressing.
Just some Hidden Valley dressed up with sour cream, chipotle powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, garlic powder and ground coriander.
*
I decided to do a spin on tacos for our salad and used everything we'd put in one, minus the shell/tortilla and meat.
Contains iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, pickled jalapeno, and cilantro. I also added an avocado at the last minute just before dressing.
*

Perfect!
*

My brown rice creations continue with brown rice cooked in chicken broth. Once nearly all the broth is absorbed I added a can of corn/pepper mix, fresh tomato, cilantro, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
*
[ I actually never used this corn/pepper mix before...it just happened to catch my eye that night. You can find it in the store alongside all the other canned vegetables.]
*

The marinated tilapia gets grilled indoors this time. My hope was this would be gentle enough so that my fish wouldn't disintegrate during the cooking process.
*

Mixed feelings, but better!
*

The fully dressed salad.
*
Absolutely fantastic, especially if you find a ripe avocado (it just melts into the dressing)!!
*

The final fish product. Not too shabby if I do say so myself.
*

Oh and that rice...DELICIOUS!!
*
Very happy with this Mexican-American inspired creation.
I feel as though I am getting closer and closer to conquering fish too :O)

3 comments: