Monday, February 15, 2010

For My Valentine (2010)

Saint Valentine's Day dates back to AD 496 (thank you Wikipedia). In its bare essence, this holiday is defined as a recognized day of the year for expressing ones love and affection to their intimate companion. While it is important to remember to show your love to your love everyday, Valentine's Day is an excuse for us to celebrate it!
*
Interestingly enough, the notion of bestowing Valentines has evolved drastically. The truth is, there are many routes that may be taken in celebrating and ultimately the one we each choose has to do with who you are.
*
For Hubs, it was building me my new beautiful kitchen cabinet.
*
For me, as you can guess, it is with food!
*
As I mentioned in a previous post, Hubs had to work on Valentine's Day. Since he's been working like a dog for the last week, I thought I would try to sweeten his day, from beginning to end.
*
*
Part 1 : Breakfast
*
Hubs has to leave for work well before the rooster crows. I knew I was not going to see him before he headed off for the day, so in our kitchen was a plain white box waiting for him with a little note that read -
*
Happy Valentines Day Sweetie!!
Enjoy for Breakfast
I LOVE YOU!

and inside this plain white box was a...

great big Cream Puff for my Cream Puff!
[j/k Hubs is not a cream puff...though after eating that whole thing, he just might have felt like one, haha!]
*
*
Part 2 : The Boxed Lunch
*
I was hoping to bring Hubs his lunch at work, but due to some exercises that were going on, he informed me there was no way I was going to get on base to deliver it. Forced to improvise, my toasty sandwich idea was out the window and I had to prepare it the night before.
*


It began with delicious Olive Bread from The O-Bread Bakery, Shelburne, VT
*

This is really awesome stuff, but too costly for us to justify making it a part of our daily routine. Like I said earlier, Valentine's day is an excuse to splurge, so the extra $4 is just a write off for love.
*
Now we build...
*
Prosciutto.
*
Piled very, very high.
*
Yum!
*
Fresh Mozzarella.
*
What a combo so far!
*
Now a bit of Baby Romaine.
*
Some Red Onion slices dressed in a balsamic/olive oil combo.
*
This sandwich is huge!
*
Beautiful too.
*
It's a big sandwich to show my big love :O)
*
Now what is Valentine's Day without more sweets!?!
*
A very special cupcake...
*
from my favorite place in town for cupcakes!!
*
Their yellow cake with white frosting is THE BEST!
*
This one was actually carrot cake with cream cheese icing (Hubs fav).
*
Now for a little love note secretly hiding in the package.
*
Hubs 2010 Valentine's Day Box Lunch.
*
Breakfast and lunch were a huge hit! I was a little worried about the sandwich, since this was the first time I've attempted that combo...but as luck would have it, the love that went into making it did shine through!
*
Now just wait until you see what I cooked up for dinner that night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment