Monday, February 8, 2010

Super Bowl Sunday 2010

Another has come and gone.
*

By this I mean, another Super Bowl (the 44th one to be exact).

Our Super Bowl XLIV Lineup!

Greek Yogurt Dip I Buffalo Wings I Asian Hot Wings I Guacamole

Feeling the way I do today, I can't help but ask why? Why have this eventful day on a Sunday??

If you're feeling at all like me, it was all fun and games until I woke up this morning and realized - Ugh, it's Monday and I've gotta go to work!

I will spare you the details, but we had a great Superbowl 2010. There was food-a-plenty, good company, and perhaps one too many beers haha!
*

Game Day Warm Up

I rolled out of bed, updated the blog over a cup a coffee...

got in a good stretch (allow pups to demonstrate...he's so cute!) and began the busy day.

The First Quarter - Greek Yogurt Dip

A HUGE hit with friends, this one is super simple.

This time around I ended up doing a mix of my two favorite yogurts, Fage and Brown Cow. More often then not I tend to purchase Brown Cow because it not only tastes great (very similar to Fage), but it is also less expensive...the store just didn't have enough this trip.

Gorgonzola and Blue Cheese are interchangeable, so it's really whichever moldy preference you have, or is handy. It just so happenes that Gorgonzola is the Cheese of the Month at my local store, so that's what I went with.

The crumbled cheese, chopped scallions, and minced red onion are added to the yogurt.

As I have mentioned before (New Years 2K10 entry...with crudite!) , this is another fairly forgivable dish, so do as you please.

I squeezed in the juice of one lemon and added salt/pepper to taste.

Once mixed up, it's covered and refrigerated until we're ready to serve.

Note, the longer you let this sit, the better the flavors will meld. Overnight is always good for this dip.

The Second Quarter - Chicken Wings

I LOVE HOT WINGS.
When I am craving wings, I have to have them.

We used to order out. At first from the local Hooters (which has since closed) and then from this new spot specializing in just wings, called Wings Over. These days though, we make our wings at home and according to Hubs they're the best!

I always buy the whole wing and usually keep them that way.
Since we were bringing these as a dish to share, I decided it would be easier on fellow guests to break them down.

Asian Hot Wings
(inspired by F&W Feb 2008)

The marinade consists of olive oil, ground coriander, cumin, cinnamon and salt/pepper.

Traditional Buffalo Wings
*
The marinade consists of olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, and salt/pepper.

The wings are left to marinate in the fridge for 4+ hours.
*
**INTERMISSION/HALFTIME SHOW**

I headed off to coach Mini Mites Hockey, where my 4 year old nephew plays.

In charge of the Red Light/Green Light Station, we had some fun and learned how to stop with one of my favorites...the pizza slice stopping technique (aka snow plow for all you skiers) :O)
*
The Third Quarter -
Lil' Miss Homemaker's Guacamole

I have had the worst luck with my Guacamole recently. The problem...finding ripe avocados!

Knowing I was going to make Guacamole this weekend, I oh so wisely purchased avocados earlier on in the week and allowed them to ripen on our counter.

My Guacamole's Holy Trinity...jalapeno, red onion and garlic.

The avocado flesh is mashed up and into the mix goes some lime juice, cilantro and spices.

As with the dip, I find this Holy Guacamole also improves in flavor as it sits.
Into the fridge it goes for a couple hours before serving!

The Fourth Quarter - aka The Big Push

With the Yogurt Dip and Guacamole ready to go, it was time to finish up the wings.

Rather than dealing with the oily mess of frying wings, we actually bake ours. With so much fat in the skin you can actually get a crispy fried result, simply by using a high oven temperature.

Also, to prevent soggy sides, I cook the wings on wire racks. This allows the fat to drip into the bottom of the baking sheet.

Asian Hot Wings

Sauce is made up of Sriracha, butter, lime zest, lime juice and cilantro.

The wings are tossed and coated with the fiery goodness.

Buffalo Wings

Not much to take credit for here...I just poured my favorite store bought sauce over.

I will say, if you're in the mood for a good store bought sauce, I highly recommend Anchor Bar Buffalo Sauce...it's out of this world good!
*
We always have a bottle in the fridge, which I use as a condiment for chicken tenders and such. Actually, one of the best things to dip into the sauce are Chinese Chicken Fingers (yes, take out style)!!
*
Post Game Wrap Up
*
The evening was great fun and as always it was a therapeutic delight to spend a good chunk of Sunday in the kitchen!!

2 comments:

  1. Well thank you A! You two aren't too shabby yourselves!! We have to do dinner soon.

    ReplyDelete