Saturday, March 20, 2010

Food Therapy with Thomas Keller

With March Madness pushing me to the edge of sanity, I truly did need my Food Therapy. I chose to give myself a personal day from work and life to spend at home.
*
As one could imagine, my expectations were very high for these first kitchen encounters with Ad Hoc a Home. Beginning with the Pistachio Butter earlier in the day, I decided to also break in this beaut of a book by tackling:
*
AD HOC'S SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALLS
Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce
Meatballs and Pappardelle
*
*
OVEN ROASTED TOMATO SAUCE
*
I am a huge, and I mean HUGE, fan of homemade tomato sauce. Thomas Keller offers, what is for me, a rather unique variation...from its ingredients to its cooking method.
*
Some unlikely ingredients:
Leeks, Fennel, Red Wine Vinegar, Brown Sugar
*
Unusual cooking method: Oven Roasted in my Le Creuset
*
This very easy, no fuss sauce and done all inside your oven!
*
I did venture off Keller's directed path just a bit. The recipe actually directs you to drain some canned tomatoes and chop them up, removing seeds. Now if you ask me that sounds like a lot of unnecessary work, so instead I just dumped the two cans directly in and used my masher to break them up. I also added just a bit of crushed red pepper flakes.
*
Another override was to not use the herb sachet, which is just an herb/spice bundle wrapped up in some cheese cloth. At this stage in my cooking, I do not have cheese cloth on hand, have actually never bought it...not sure I'd know where to look for it! Instead I improvised...
*
HERB SACHET UNDONE
Whole Black Peppercorns - Fresh Ground Pepper
Fresh Thyme Sprigs - Dried Thyme
Bay Leaf - Dried Bay Leaf
*
Everything simmers uncovered in the oven until thickened (about 1.5 hours). Now just walk away...this super simple sauce works itself, only requiring you to stir a few times during the cooking process (Keller says every 30 minutes). Just remember to remove the bay leaf before serving.
*
*
MEATBALLS AND PAPPARDELLE
(or rather Bucatini)
*
I didn't find any Pappardelle at my grocery store and didn't really feel like trying to make it myself, since I don't have a pasta maker to make easy the rolling/thining part.
*
Instead I decided to substitute Bucatini, which is like a spaghetti straw. The nice part of this pasta is it traps the saucy yumminess inside.
*Since I had the day to myself, I made a special trip to the meat market (aka butcher shop) in the next town over. Keller calls for chuck, sirloin, pork butt, and veal. As I informed you in my pork cutlet entry, I cannot seem to bring myself to buy veal and decided to override yet again by replacing the call for veal with extra sirloin.
*
Another first-time of this cooking session was pulling out our wedding gifted meat grinder!
*
All of the meats are cubed, salted and run through...then run through again.
Absolutely awesome!!
*

Sauteed onions/garlic, panko breadcrumbs, parsley and egg are mixed in.
*
Baseball sized meatballs are rolled, stuffed with a cube of fresh mozzarella, and baked in the oven.
*
The pasta is mixed up with melted butter, parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
*
Finished meatballs plated atop the oven roasted sauce.
*
These are GIGANTIC and filled with melted cheesy goodness!
*
Ad Hoc's Spaghetti and Meatballs at home.
*
DELICIOUS!
*
Keller does not disappoint with these two recipes.
They are both rather easy and super tasty!
*
Onto the next Ad Hoc attempt...
thinking about some cupcakes with buttercream frosting.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I have it in the oven right now. The meatballs are ready to be baked later. I love this cookbook. I made the carrot cake cupcakes this past weekend and they were great.
    I am looking forward to reading your blog.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete