Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Family First

Hi all. My apologies for being away so long.
*
Initially the break from the blog was due to my planned vacation to the Cape for a sort of the college years reunion. I did go and it was a blast.
*
Since then life has reached one of those crazy points again...
*
You might be wondering why I have so many pictures of this lone tomato...
*
Well this tomato came from Grandpa GreenThumbs' Garden.
Perfect isn't it? Deserves all the attention I am giving it!
*
My love and focus on this tomato represents the way I am feeling for my Grandpa. Last week he was admitted to the hospital and ultimately given the diagnosis of Leukemia :( Stuck in bed, Grandpa GreenThumb has been fighting and fighting hard.
*
We are fortunate enough to be one of those families that understands no matter what family comes first. Each of his children are taking turns being with him so that he is never alone. We grandchildren are visiting as often as possible or needed. Then of course there is his loving wife of over 55 years, my Grammy, who has been by his side everyday.
*
What the future holds we are not sure, but all are staying positive. Grandpa is an old timer VT Farmer, which makes him tough, a fighter by nature.
*
This tomato was so perfect looking I knew it was not worth cooking it. It would be a shame to overburden the fresh and pure flavor with too many other ingredients...so I kept it simple to allow it's natural deliciousness to be enjoyed.
*
Perfectly ripe, I sliced the tomato with a serrated knife.
*
The knife choice was to prevent the squashing/bruising that often occurs when a dull knife meets a soft, supple fruit such as this.
*
I dressed the slices with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper...
*
Then added fresh basil chiffonade from my garden.
*
Beautiful!
*
Packaged up for work, I enjoyed this for lunch. Each bite I took, I savored and I thought of Grandpa. I wish he could have been the one to enjoy this delicious tomato, the fruits of his labor in the garden.
*
Truth be told, I have not had time to cook. Balancing family, work and other responsibilities right now is all consuming. I am not sure the next time I will have the time to cook, which I am sorry for...but family comes first. As soon as I can get back to the kitchen, you all will be the first to know.
*
In the meantime if you can, please keep Grandpa GreenThumb in your thoughts and prayers...

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful tomato and beautiful thoughts. Your grandpa cannot help doing well with all your love and support. Adding mine too! Love, Camilla

    ReplyDelete
  2. banned from the kitchenSeptember 1, 2010 at 2:52 PM

    wow - that is so nice looking that i bet even anonymous AD would want to try it. (her aversion to tomatos is rooted in the fact she thinks tomatos look like...well, i'll let her tell you).

    really really sorry to hear your family's news, and really really hoping that GGT is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog!

    That looks so delicious!

    Have a nice time!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete