Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Summertime in VT

S'mores...
*
and sunsets...
These are the things summers in VT are made of!
*
Last weekend was crazy fun. Kicking off Friday with Girls' Night Out, Saturday morning came before I knew it. I was invited to some friends' camp up north and rarely turn down the chance to drink and eat on our beautiful lake.
*
I mentioned a couple posts ago that the garden was going wild. After a long weekend of wedding fun, I returned home to find my first zucchini was enormous!
*
I debated letting it sit there in the garden to see just how big it might get (thinking of Hussy's Annual Harvest Party's Giant Veggie Competition), but then decided this beast might hoard the nutrients handicapping the growth of future zucchinis.
*
Having heard the large ones tend to be stringy and not make good eats, I waited a week to figure out how to utilize this elephant. Ultimately I became obsessed with the idea of stuffing it.
*
I began by using my handy-dandy melon baller to carve out a bowl. Then brushed it with olive oil, seasoned with salt/pepper and threw on a head's worth of garlic cloves. Now I am not sure if this made a difference or not, but I began cooking the zucchini halves face down with the garlic underneath. Being slightly hungover from the night before, I also don't know just how long it cooked for at 370 degrees (went by look). About halfway through I rotated and put the beastly pieces skin side down.
*
There you have it, roasted zucchini bowls.
*
Since the camp party would be offering hamburgers, hot dogs and sausages, I went for more of a side dish for the filling.
*
The couscous was cooked in a white wine/herb chicken broth, mixed with a combination of cucumbers, carrots, green peppers (1 from my garden!) and feta, and seasoned with olive oil, salt and pepper.
*
Looking back I wished I had added some lemon juice or a vinegar of sorts, it could have benefited from the acid...
*
My other contribution was a recipe I received from my Aunt, following her serving it at one of my bridal showers...a goat cheese and strawberry bruschetta.
*
As simple as it sounds, I sliced a baguette, brushed with olive oil and broiled to toast. Then each piece was smeared with goat cheese and piled high with fresh strawberries. This easy dish is really tasty!! Sweet with a bite from the goat cheese, yum!
*
I do wish I had thought to pull out that balsamic glaze I've been using...but again, I was feeling the effects of the fun night before and wasn't completely thinking straight, oops!
*
The day was perfect.
*
Even the dogs thought so.
*
Hussy created a delicious tomato, basil, mozzarella and balsamic salad.
*
Though the grill ran out of gas, our macgyver hostess just went to Plan B.
*
Here was my plate...a delicious cheddar burger piled high with a spicy pepper mix and the variety of sides. What you don't see are the massive amounts of snacks I also consumed throughout the day...potato chips, bruschetta, blueberries and lots of beer :)
*
Between the wave runner, boat, tubing and water skiing, folks were in the water as long as the sun was up.
*
True for all things, even this wonderful day had to come to an end...
*
Each of us found moments of respite in this beautiful setting...
*
and as the sun began to lower into the horizon...
*
the sky began to fill with color.
*
It was an amazing day with good food, frosty drinks
*
and some pretty awesome friends.
*
Tasty s'mores...
*
and beautiful sunsets...
Summertime in VT :)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for documenting a wonderful day. It was the best day of the summer. It was so hard to go back to work. :) Thanks for bringing the awesome food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet post. I especially liked the picture of my hands- moving sooo fast you couldn't get them in focus. I'm that good! But so was the strawberry goat cheese bread creation...might have been even better with balsamic sauce! But who cares. Delicious anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies :) It was a great day for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wicked happy camperAugust 3, 2010 at 1:37 PM

    wicked glad we could share the place with such wicked cool people on such a wicked nice day. let's do it again tomorrow, OK?

    i'd like to document the fact that my brother was wrong - i do not overuse the word wicked.

    (wicked cool story pics, i might add!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn, all that food looks great! I miss VT. I have not been there since 1999. Need to get back sometime.

    ReplyDelete