Sunday, June 13, 2010

This Jerky's Journey Overseas

Hubs seems settled and getting through the days in his temporary home away from home.
*
Being where they are, he is fortunate enough to access to pretty much anything he needs. I've asked over and over, 'is there anything I can send you?' His reply is always the same and that it is not necessary.
*
Well what fun is this trip away, if I can't send a care package gosh darn it?!?! I mean come on, we've gotta take advantage of the few enjoyable parts, right?!?
*
I tend to be pretty pushy and I am sure it is just my nature...I mean I am in Business Development after all. When Hubs and I go out to dinner I often try to force feed him a taste of my entree (secretly hoping he'll offer me the same). Being pretty darned sure it is because I want him to try it, he resists. You see we can both be very stubborn, but in most cases I know best haha!! Truthfully more times than not, I usually end up disappointed in this standoff and he gets through dinner without sharing.
*
Seeing my opportunity to get in the last word (or rather action here), I went right ahead a put together a package of things Hubs did not need, nor did he ask for. Instead I sent things I thought he might like...I mean really, I knew he would love this and what would he do send it back?!?! Haha, yeah right!
*
Even before Hubs left, I was planning to experiment with and send homemade beef jerky. Hubs really likes the stuff and used to eat a good deal of it back in our younger days ;-)
*
It just so happened that a recent F&W did a piece on a gal who makes and sells beef jerky...lo and behold, they had recipes and instructions to make some beefy deliciousness at home!!
*
SO SIMPLE - slice meat, marinade 6-8 hrs, and cook in over at 200 degrees for 4 hours.
*
The base for this first (of two) marinades was F&W's Spicy Mexican version, which included Pacifico, jalapeno, and some other items that I can't recall off the top of my head (if you're really interested just let me know and I'll post the recipe!). I of course added my own touch and used my go-to seasoning combination of garlic powder, cumin, cayenne, chili powder, and ground coriander. I figured this would help bring Hubs a taste of home.
*
Now here was my pride and joy. A Korean marinade, much like a cross between Bulgogi and Kalbi. This would beat out any teriyaki jerky you could buy!
*

It took just over a week to get to Hubs. I had wrapped the two kinds separately in plastic wrap, which I then stuck in a freezer bag, which then I stuck in a larger freezer bag.
*
As I packed up the box I threw in magazines, some new t-shirts, gum, candy, instant Korean coffee, sunflower seeds, etc. At the last moment I was hit with paranoia that should this beef jerky become rancid en route, the rest of the contents may pick up that smell...so you know what I did? I placed one dryer sheet on the outsides of the larger freezer bag, hoping that would contain any possible spoiling odors.
*
So there is good news and there is bad news...

*
Good News
The samples I brought into work were a HUGE hit, especially the Korean one
*
Bad News
Some of the Korean jerky sent abroad had white fuzzy stuff growing on it.
*
Good News
Hubs found a few pieces without the furry stuff and tried it (um, yeah can't say I would have been that brave haha!) He said it was good, perfect jerky texture...but 'fresh'.
*
Bad News
The dryer sheets were not such a great idea. The strong smell permeated the jerky giving them a hint of freshness if you know what I mean.
*
Good News
The Mexican variety seemed to have made it and minus the dryer sheet smell would have been fantastic!
*
This was just attempt #1. I now have in my possession a vacuum sealer apparatus!! I am going to try again and super seal this stuff, without the protection of dryer sheets :o)
*
Thank you Hubs for the pics from your home away from home & for the detailed account of how it all tasted/looked. I won't even try to ask on a scale of 1-10 what you thought...we'll save that for a better batch haha!!
*

Also, I am so happy you enjoyed the package...I knew you would haha!!

No comments:

Post a Comment