Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Earthy Dinner Inspirations

No game plan, no problem!
*
Next to Top Chef one of my most favorite shows to watch is the Next Food Network Star. While I know I have a long way to go before I could be on such a show, I can't help but day dream. In the first episode of this season the contestants are beginning to find their identity and work on their tv personalities. It's kind of a mixed bag at this point and too early to tell who will come out on top.
*
When watching the show, I try to imagine what I would do in their situation. For the 15 second promo they were tasked, I think I would have embraced the last minute challenge with my last minute approach to planning meals...so I present Ms. Homemaker's experimental tag line - No game plan, no problem! Haha!
*
In my hypothetical show I would teach folks how to stock a kitchen with what I consider basics/must haves, rely just on a few fresh ingredients purchased at the store and use personal experiences and preferences to whip up delicious meals.
*
I thought about this further, 15 seconds is not a lot of time to sell yourself. However, key to any sale (in my opinion) is making your audience identify with you. We are all busy people and for some it's a mix of work, extracurriculars, etc and for those fortunate others there is the responsibility of a family with kiddos to feed (I hope to be there one day). For me weeknight meals can be a challenge and I know many other's feel the same exact way. It's easy to try and cop out with pizza or other takeout. If you're anything like me, unless it's a planned treat, I feel very guilty by relying on these options. Nope, I want home cooked meals in this household...and you know what?!? It's easy! Just stay cool, calm, use your financial savviness and go with your cravings :o)
*
I've mentioned in older posts how I LOVE to hit up the grocery store after work. At this point in our lives, it makes more sense for quick trips after work, rather than one large all-consuming weekend visit. Marking the beginning of my evening food therapy, in less than 15 minutes I can be in and out with the ingredients for a delicious meal.
*
Here is a recent example of one such evening...
*
Mushrooms. I love mushrooms. I selected these white button mushrooms over the other varieties simply because...they were on sale.
*
Raw, sauteed in butter, cooked up in a mix of things, or just simply grilled I crave and enjoy their texture and flavor. Tonight I skewered, brushed with canola oil, seasoned with salt/pepper and grilled...oh yeah!
*
Steelhead Trout. I've never had this before. I noticed it in the seafood display mostly because it was on sale. I asked the fishmonger whether this fish tasted more like trout or salmon and was told that while most assume it will taste like salmon...it really tastes more like trout. Perfect! I'd choose trout over salmon any day!!
*
Fiddleheads. I just couldn't let the season's unique offering pass me by this year!
*
Recalling Earth Day circa ~1997 - Being in rural VT we had our high school's earth day in the woods on a mountain. With stations positioned all along the hike up, we learned of conservation, recycling and much more pertaining to our environment. The one station that has stuck with me from that day was the one that cooked up fiddleheads in butter and garlic...so good!!
*
Grilled mushrooms, garlic marinaded grilled steelhead trout and garlic butter fiddleheads!
*
Please take note...I grilled this beautiful piece of fish!! Yup, it didn't fall a part, cook unevenly or anything...it was perfect :O)
*
By the way, not to call the fishmonger a lier, but this tasted much more like salmon than it did trout.
*
There you have it, nothing fancy, but pretty tasty! I only purchased mushrooms, fiddleheads and fish at the store and relied on the kitchen cupboards to finish the meal off. The inspirations being 1) mushrooms & fish were on sale and 2) the season's fiddlehead offerings.
*
My earth meets sea weeknight dinner!
*
No game plan, no problemo haha!

3 comments:

  1. What a fabulous meal. We are able to get fiddleheads here but never in the grocery stores. It happens that the season here is over so I'm to late to try your complete feast. Next year :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the entire meal looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! It was really tasty, super easy and hit the spot that night. Onto the next creation :o)

    ReplyDelete