THE MEXICAN CHOCOLATE CAKE PART
(recipe from bakedbree.com, only differences are (1) I increased/eyeballed the cayenne from her 1/2 tsp (2) I used Hershey's cocoa powder, which seems lighter than what the original author used and (3) I did not use her recommended Cinnamon Mascarpone Frosting.)
1 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 3/4 cup flour
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tbls balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tbls vanilla extract
- Begin by preheating oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray two - 8" cake pans with Pam. Place a parchment paper disc in the bottom of each pan and spray again.
- Combine all dry ingredients and whisk.
- Add the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth and glossy.
- Pour into cake pans and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
THE CINNAMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING PART
(recipe from bridezillabakes.com. I doubled her recipe for this cake, which is indicated by the larger measurements below)
2x 8oz packages of cream cheese, softened
6 tbls unsalted butter, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cup confectioners sugar, plus more for mixing
2 tsp cinnamon
- Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla with an electric mixer at high speed until fluffy.
- Sift in confectioners sugar and cinnamon, then beat at medium speed until incorporated.
I also made this frosting the night before and just covered with plastic wrap and stored it in the fridge. An hour or so before I was going to use it, I pulled the frosting out and brought it to room temperature.
THE CHOCOLATE-GANACHE GLAZE PART
(recipe from martastewart.com I doubled her recipe for this cake, which is indicated by the larger measurements below)
1 1/3 cup heavy cream
12 oz chopped semisweet chocolate
2 tbls light corn syrup
- Bring cream to a boil in a medium sauce pan.
- Remove from heat, and add chocolate and corn syrup.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl, and let cool, stirring often.
- Use Immediately.
To read about my assembly methods for this gorgeous cake, please visit this post here.
GOOD LUCK & HAVE FUN!!!