Friday, April 16, 2010

Back on the wagon...

Last night I finally cooked my first complete meal since the Hubs has departed. Baby steps...
*
As part of my house sitting duties, I am responsible for providing dinner and supervision of a high school senior. At that age I was always a busy one keeping my parents running around, but this poor kid's schedule is really something. It amazes me the number of activities, in addition to school, these kids have now a days.
*
Yesterday after school there was his school's team ultimate Frisbee game, homework, a hockey game and then some more homework. The demands left little time for cooking up anything really special for dinner.
*
We ended up with grilled steak tips, sauteed broccoli and grilled baguette with my go-to garlic, hot pepper, EVOO dipping oil concoction. A bit out of my element in the grand kitchen of their house, I did alright and was able to get it all done in just about 30 minutes. The pressure of preparing dinner in a timely manner meant I did not photograph the finished product, or process. You'll just have to trust me that it looked and tasted great haha!
*
Grilled Steak Tips
Keep it simple stupid...
just some Salt & Pepper and then grilled to a perfect medium rare.
And I do mean perfect too! These folks have the best, super duper fancy grill...cooked to perfection, just how I like it :O)
*
Grilled Baguette
Slice a fresh crusty baguette lengthwise, drizzle on a touch of olive oil and grill until you've reach the desired toasty goodness. Can't get much easier!
*
Go-To Dipping Oil
Lots of freshly chopped garlic, extra virgin olive oil, crushed red pepper flake, salt and pepper.
*
Sauteed Broccoli
Broccoli florets, olive oil, more garlic, soy sauce, and pepper.
*
Dinner was good and efficient.
It felt nice to cook and was enjoyable to have some company to share dinner with. Now having the first official dinner cooked up since Hubs left, it's onward and upwards for me!
*
*
So today is Friday...what is most notable about this particular Friday is that it is Day 1 of our weekend long annual hometown hockey tourney!!!
*
Our team for this tourney gets together just for this annual weekend and is a combination of good' old Canadians and Big (VT) City players.
*
Being the 3rd year we've done this, the team has established some bonds. It's wonderful to see these 'international' teammates each year and hear of their amazing lives and experiences since we last saw them...as well as some great ones from before we knew them.
*
We sport the 'vintage' local University's uniforms, which are this bright yellow. It's such a great weekend, with some really great teams and hockey played!
*
Did I mention this combo of players makes for much fun and many beers...eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment