Monday, December 21, 2009

The Misuderstood Brussels Sprout

Brussels Sprouts, otherwise known as WILD CABBAGE, are the archenemy of so many children and adults.
*
Growing up I did have the frozen variety occasionally, which you microwaved with butter sauce. I didn't mind them, actually I've always been somewhat amused by the miniature cabbage. My husband on the other hand is not a huge fan, claiming their bitterness the reason.
*
The suggestion for a delicious side of roasted Brussels Sprouts came from one of the firm's Partners. A mother of 3, she is a wonderful cook and often we get off track at the office talking about food. The first time I tried it, I only did a small batch figuring my husband would not share in them...but I was wrong!
*
The roasted Brussels Sprouts were delicious!

I can't remember where I heard this from, maybe it was food network or friends, but I recall that when you cook these mini cabbages, you should take care to avoid overcooking. The reason being that overcooking releases the unappetizing sulfurous odor and taste these miniatures are capable of.
*
Soooo, this is where they get their bad rap...from people who force the overcooked veg down the mouths of children. Cruel and unusual punishment? Perhaps.
*
*

I keep it simple and marinate some chicken in olive oil, lemon, rosemary, salt and pepper.

For sides, we've got our star of the dinner BRUSSELS SPROUTS, some boxed rice pilaf and Swiss Chard w/Gorgonzola.

The Brussels Sprouts were
cleaned, sliced and arranged on a cookie sheet.

Their dressing includes olive oil, salt and pepper.

The Swiss Chard is washed and stems removed.

The cheese crumbled.

The Swiss Chard & Gorgonzola cheese created this pretty pink water/oil/cheese mixture...
it was tasty enough that I drizzled some over my chicken.


The final product...ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS!

The final plate, minus the Brussels Spouts...

I felt they deserved their own stage
front and center on the table,
so they stayed on our beautiful serving platter.
*
At table side these Roasted Brussels Spouts were scooped up and eaten without complaint (and perhaps with even some yums!)!

No comments:

Post a Comment